Some of you noticed over the past weeks, that I was struggling with the fact that my blog here presents multiple interests. I had the idea to transfer the technology related articles to a new technology blog but I had this very uncomfortable feeling with two blogs.
I can be very inspired, and I really love to write about all my interests and my multi-interest blog here allows me to discharge the ideas and this is why I wanted place the focus here again. But then I opened a fortune cookie after visiting an Asia restaurant. The message inspired me to give the new technology blog a second chance. But to be honest, I seriously should listen to my feelings and not to the message of a fortune cookie.
I researched a little bit today, just because I was nosy what other people would say about blogs with multiple subjects. Yes, you will find people who suggest to create a dozen of blogs for all your interests but there are also many people who suggest to concentrate on one blog. To be honest, I was one of them in the past too.
After trying it again and after giving my new technology blog a second chance, here is what peeves me the most while managing more than just one blog:
1. I can find inspiration several times in a week and the ideas are not always related to one and the same subject. I would need tons of niche blogs if I really would want to separate all the subjects.
2. It´s me, who writes and I am a little bit selfish at this point. I do not want to be expert in several niches. I know some things in different fields, but I do not want to proof this with a gazillion of appropriate niche blogs. If I feel that I can share some interesting knowledge, I want to have one place where I can do this.
3. Even if some so-called SEO experts suggest that a niche blog works better, I should know that my own rules made it possible that my general blog could be called established with at least noteworthy Google visitors and a little bit revenue for my efforts, without losing sight of the fun factor while blogging and without being too obsessed about traffic but still focused on my interests.
4. I dislike to switch between several dashboards while pushing out new articles. I dislike it even more to decide on which blog I want to publish the content.
5. I have time, but I do not have time to manage two blogs and everything that has to do with it (social media accounts for example).
6. I can show discipline and I am a fairly consistent blogger but my motivation can´t go be beyond one blog as it seems.
7. Even a technology niche blog could be split into small fragments and niches. You can scare away people who want to read about games with articles about computer hardware, and hardware interested people if they find your gaming articles.
8. Establishing one blog is possible, establishing a second one too but it will be a pain and not easy.
9. I am afraid that I would start to prefer one blog over the other, so that it would hurt one of the blogs.
Ok this is a lot. But what about my peeves with my multi-interest blog here?
1. I started to dislike my domain name and I am aware that I could change the name but it would be a lot of work, and could set me back to the beginning for a while when we talk about Google visibility.
2. I am aware of the fact that multiple subjects could always scare people away. A broader blog can generate traffic but I think it´s not a lie that a niche blog is better when it comes to a loyal follower base as the content can at least be much more targeted than on a blog with multiple subjects.
I must say that point one is really a huge problem for me at the moment. I don´t like the domain name anymore and wonder why I didn´t have a better idea. The name describes the blog very well but the name sounds awkward anyhow. I mean the word “diary” sounds strange anyhow but maybe I have just the feeling because I saw the name for too long? Point two is not a too big problem as most of the readers visit the blog with help of the Google search anyway.
My comparison makes clear that I prefer just one blog over managing more than one. I would like several niche blogs if I could cut myself in half, but I can´t. That is the reality. And finally blogging should be fun… I should do it based on my own rules I guess.
I am also not sure why I wanted to have a technology niche blog, if this blog here was already heavily focused on some technology subjects? Maybe because I didn´t want to annoy people with my life stories, if they find here because of a software related tutorial article? Maybe because the click-through rate would be better on a niche blog? Why do I care if the traffic is not too bad here either?
It´s too funny how an idea can push you back and forth. But if this list and article here is not clear enough? My comparison shows that I really prefer to put all the energy in this blog here. Why do I still think so much about it?
One last try could be to make the new technology domain to a german blog but then there would be some other concerns. But I would need to write another article to talk about them.
Maybe I really should just forget the other domain and go back to focus on this blog here. I mean if the domain name is my biggest peeve, how tiny is this problem compared to the peeves I have with multiple blogs?